The Lorax by Dr Seuss
Mister! He said
with a sawdusty sneeze,
I am the Lorax.
I speak for the trees.
Join the long-suffering crusader and help save the planet!
Genre: environment, kindness, moral
Themes: conservation, environment, awareness, eco-friendly, endangered animals
Age: 3-5 years old
1. In the book can pupils highlight the rhyming pairs of words? Can pupils play a rhyming game with other words given to them? Can pupils think of 5 words on their own, and think of a matching rhyming word? In a circle pass a bean bag from pupil to pupil and create a ‘Rhyme chain’, how many words can they link together that rhyme?
2. The story focuses on the differences before and after the ‘Lorax got lifted away’. Can pupils compare the pictures and describe at least 10 differences using colours, animals and shapes to describe them.
3. Each event in this story can be linked to something in our world. Can pupils as a class or in groups think of examples where these things happen on Earth? What effect is it going to have on animals and plants? (CC: Geography)
4. All of the animals are made up in this story, can pupils think up their own animal that defends animals and plants? What does the animal have to help it in its mission to protect the environment? (CC: Art, Science)
5. Taking inspiration from the story, what environmental change can pupils think of to do at school? Could they go out and litter pick? Can they help reduce plastic use in school? How will their choice help the environment? How will they get the whole school on board? (CC: Geography)
Enjoyed this book? You might also enjoy…